As winter draws to a close, it’s time to put the coats and heavy sweaters away and look forward to the blooms and blossoms of spring.
The warmer weather of spring invites people to take part in activities that will enhance their health and well-being. If you’re looking to recommit to better health after the long, chilly winter, here are some activities to indulge in during spring:
- Get outside – Most people stay indoors during the gloomy months of winter, resulting in inactivity. Spring can help entice us out the front door to take in the sun, blooming trees, and budding flowers. Enjoying the greenery and bursts of color with family and friends can erase the malaise that may have set in during winter. It can help improve your mental outlook which often reflects in better physical health.
- Try a “spring clean” diet – The sweets and processed foods from the holidays may have left us with extra pounds. Spring is a great time to turn our focus to fresh, light foods. The market is full of local produce that is cheap and packed with essential nutrients.
- Get Vitamin D – When people hole up in their homes throughout the winter, they may not get enough Vitamin D from sunlight. Even if they do venture out, the sun may be shrouded by heavy clouds. The return of spring allows us to go out, see the sun’s rays, and get more Vitamin D in the process. Vitamin D is essential to bone growth and a healthy immune system.
- Freshen up – Most of us keep our windows and doors tightly shut during winter in order to prevent cold air from entering the house. As a result, the same old air inside the house circulates for months and may become stale. Spring is a great time to throw open the windows and let the fresh air flood in.
- Exercise – Winter weather conditions can make it hard to exercise. If the ground is wet and frozen, few people want to head out for a walk or jog. The onset of spring is the perfect time to resume outdoor activities.
- Detox – Spring is the best time to cleanse the body of all the toxins that accumulated during the holidays. Most people eat too much meat and fat-laden food during seasonal parties. Using herbal detox can cleanse the unwanted toxins, freeing us up to make a clean start for spring.
Take advantage of spring to invigorate your mind and body.