Detox not only cleanses the body of accumulated toxins, it can also boost your energy levels, improve your digestion, eliminate unwanted pounds, and provide sparkle to your eyes and glow to your skin.
The purpose of any detox plan is to give your detox organs – liver, kidneys, and bowel – the opportunity to take it easy and recuperate from the damage of toxic overload. Your natural cleansing system can function much better when it is not bogged down by harmful elements from the environment and processed foods.
The first step to drawing up a detox plan is to check your calendar and find a stretch of days with minimal activity. You might react to the cleanse with loose bowel movements and headaches, which will be easier to deal with if you have some down time.
You also need to avoid certain items as you execute your cleansing program, including alcohol, cigarettes, milk products, sugar and artificial sweeteners, coffee, grains, and dried fruits. While you avoid these elements, you can enjoy the following:
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh vegetables
- Fish, both fresh and canned in water
- Lean red meat
- Olive oil
- Nuts and seeds
- Green or white tea
- Three to five liters of water per day
Follow these guidelines for an optimal seven-day detox:
- Drink fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a cup of hot water.
- Exercise for one hour daily. Vigorous exercise will boost blood circulation that will flush out toxins.
- Eat raw foods. Cooking can mitigate the benefits of some enzymes and nutrients in vegetables and fruits.
- Detox the mind as you detox the body. Cleanse your mind of all worries and anxieties by meditating for about 15 minutes a day.
- Drink three liters of fluids daily. Drink pure spring water, fresh vegetable juices, herbal detox tea, and liquid detox drinks.
- Body brush (using a loofah or specialized brush) to support circulation and improve the ability of the skin to detoxify.
- Chew each mouthful of food 10 to 12 times before you swallow. This will help you feel full earlier so you won’t be tempted to overeat.
Approach your detox with a positive attitude. Focus on what you’ll gain from the experience rather than what you’re giving up.