The word detox scares many people because they associate it with intense juice cleanses and other types of severe deprivation diets. Detoxification, however, does not mean starving your body of nutrients in order to cleanse it. It means refocusing the mind and body and redirecting the sense of taste to healthy and nutritious foods.
Detox eating plans comprise foods that contain essential nutrients, minus the usual meal add-ons that contribute to the accumulation of toxins. Detox meals include a hefty serving of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and lean protein.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many people like a good old-fashioned breakfast of bacon and eggs, toast, and coffee, but that’s not necessarily the best way to start your day. Consider these breakfast options that are chock-full of whole foods and essential vitamins:
- Coconut, blueberry and steel-cut oatmeal bake – This can be prepared the night before and warmed up in the morning.
- Vanilla chia yogurt – Start the day with a hefty dose of chia seeds, which are rich in protein, calcium, antioxidants, iron, magnesium, and potassium. Enjoy your yogurt with almond milk and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Paleo blueberry muffins – Instead of eating a load of carbohydrates that are processed with sugar and white flour, try these muffins that are made using almond flour, coconut oil, and honey. Blueberries and vanilla extract add extra flavor.
A detox lunch can be rich in colorful produce. Vegetables of deep hues are often the healthiest. Here are a few meals that look inviting and taste fresh and delicious:
- Rainbow salad – This is made of chopped romaine lettuce, red pepper, avocado and purple cabbage. Add some salt, pepper, and sesame seeds for flavor.
- Crunchy detox salad – Combine raw cauliflower, broccoli, sunflower seeds, carrots, and lemon ginger vinaigrette.
- Pumpkin lentil soup – This nutrient-dense soup is made from lentils, potatoes, onions, pumpkin puree, and spices such as cumin and mint.
End your day on a light and healthy note with one of these detox dinners:
- Chicken, veggie, avocado, and rice bowls – This dinner recipe combines grilled chicken, zucchini, red peppers, and brown rice in one serving bowl. Finish it off with guacamole, tomatoes, and a little cheese.
- Wild rice and butternut squash salad – You won’t go hungry after eating this hearty salad. It combines butternut squash, dried fruit, leeks, kale, and fresh basil.
In addition to improving your diet, hasten your detox process by taking liquid detox drinks. Try 24-hour detox drinks that will rid your body of accumulated toxins and waste in a day.